Saturday, August 17, 2013

Chocolate Bourbon Cupcakes

 I love to bake and have a soft spot for cupcakes in particular. I get asked to bake cupcakes for parties now and again but to be honest I offer more often than I get asked. We all have our creative outlets and coming up with new combinations of cakes, fillings, and frostings is mine. This morning I baked two batches of cupcakes for two birthday parties. Both taking place today and both for boyfriends of my friends. Enter the Maker's Mark cupcake.
 I adapted this recipe from multiple sites, all of which I will link here.  This is what I came up with

Chocolate Bourban Cupcakes
adapted from Betty Crocker's Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes  and My Baking Addiction's Doctored Strawberry Cupcakes (my go to doctored cupcake recipe)
makes 24
1 box Devil's Food cake mix
1/2 package chocolate pudding mix (the 3.4 ox box)
1 cup greek yogurt (I used nonfat b/c I have it)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup water
4 eggs lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat over to 350. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
Dump all ingredients, in order, in mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon batter into muffin tin. I use a scoop and it is the perfect portion. Bake for 15-22 minutes. Check at 15 with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they are ready!
Bourbon Frosting
from How Sweet It Is
makes exactly enough for 24 cupcakes

2 stick unsalted butter at room temp
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp bourbon

Cream butter in a mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. On low speed, slowly add powdered sugar one heaping spoonful at a time, until it is all combined with butter. Add vanilla and 2 tbsp of bourbon. Beat on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick add the last teaspoon of bourbon and beat again for a few seconds. I did not need the last tbsp. Using a rubber spatula, scoop buttercream into a ziploc bag. Cut off one corner of bag and pipe frosting onto cupcakes.

Garnish with toffee bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment